Updated: Aug 24, 2020
OUR MOBILE DEVICES ARE CARRIERS FOR SEVERAL MICROBIAL LIFE FORMS, INCLUDING BACTERIA, VIRUSES AND FUNGI.
While some of these are harmless, there are also disease-causing organisms such as the SARS-CoV-2 virus that can surface on our phones and be transmitted.
Just as washing and sanitising our hands have become regular practices, so should be disinfecting our mobile devices. The average person touches their cell phone 2617 times a day!
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR PHONE
Many manufacturers, including Apple, have provided recommendations on how to clean your mobile devices.
The following procedure have been recommended by Apple:
– Use only a soft, lint-free cloth
– Unplug all power sources, devices and cables before cleaning
– Avoid spraying cleaners directly onto your device. Instead, spray cleaner onto a lint- free cloth and use this cloth to wipe down your phone
– Avoid aerosol sprays, bleaches and abrasives
– Don’t let moisture get into any openings
Apple also recommends the use of 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes or liquid to disinfect your phone.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU CLEAN YOUR PHONE?
Is it advisable to clean your phone on a ‘regular basis’ or if your phone becomes contaminated by someone sneezing or coughing on it. Our recommendation is to give your mobile device a quick wipe down once daily.